Is Your Home Ready For The Cold?
As we head into the colder months, our homes are facing those extreme-weather conditions that are so characteristic of our area. From rain to snow, freezing temperatures to high winds, our homes must withstand all of these elements and hopefully remain unscathed. How well your home fares will depend on how well you prepare it for the challenges ahead.
One of the best investments of both time and money is the preventative measures you can take to safeguard your home during the winter months. By making some simple preparations now, you can get through the coming seasons feeling confident that your home is protected from whatever Mother Nature throws your way.
As you prepare for winter, here are some basic, commonsense steps you can take to help safeguard your home:
- Have your gutters and downspouts cleaned so that your drainage system remains clean and functional. One of the biggest contributors for the need of leaking roof repair comes from clogged gutters.
- Perform seasonal maintenance on your furnace, and get an inspection if needed. You certainly do not want it to go out during the winter.
- Cover your outside A/C condensing unit with a breathable cover designed for this purpose. This will help prevent damage from wet leaves and other debris.
- Inspect your chimney to ensure that it is free of birds’ nests or other debris. Likewise, check your fire box for any damage. Before your first fire of the season, check the draft. Burn a few sheets of newspaper to ensure the smoke is being drawn up into the chimney. If not, you have an obstruction and may need a professional cleaning and inspection.
- Disconnect all exterior water hoses and drain outside water lines. Insulate all exterior pipes, and apply an insulated cover to the faucet.
- Inspect window seals and door weather-stripping for leaks. This can help you save on energy expenses.
- Have your roof inspected, and repair roof shingles that are damaged immediately. You also want to check that the flashing around your chimney and other roof projections is undamaged and in good condition.
At Done Right Roofing & Sheet Metal, we help homeowners across our community prepare their homes for winter with top-quality roof inspections and roof repair services
With these simple steps, you can help your home get through the winter unscathed. . We believe that your roof is your home’s first line of defense against the elements, which is why it is so important to keep it functioning at peak performance. To schedule your own inspection or repair, or to learn more about how we can help prepare your roof and gutters for winter, contact us today!