Asphalt shingles remain supreme when it comes to popular roofing materials, but one option that’s catching up fast is metal. There is a lot to love in a metal roofing system. It is lightweight yet durable, providing up to 50 years of reliable weather performance. Metal roofing has also evolved from its old corrugated form (the staple in warehouses and barns) into something more beautiful and stylish. You can pick either metal panels for that sleek, contemporary look, or shingles to better match with your home’s traditional style. Either way–a metal roof allows for instant curb appeal with the right customization.
If you’re planning to have one installed for your home this season, you should consider its maintenance. It’s never too early to think about upkeep. After all, a roof installation is usually one of the biggest home improvement projects a homeowner can invest in. Taking proactive measures that keep your metal roof in good condition allows you to get the most out of it.
The trusted roof repair contractor in the area, Done-Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd. shares some handy maintenance tips to get you started.
1. Cut back any tree branches. First things first–never allow any tree branches to extend over, or touch your metal roof. Make sure to trim them back regularly. Otherwise, these branches might scratch the roof surface. They can also become a huge problem during a storm. High winds can cause these branches to slam against your roof repeatedly, or break them altogether and have them crash on the system.
2. Clear the metal roof of any debris. Leaves and other loose debris can settle on top of your metal roof, giving you another reason to remove encroaching tree branches near the system. Debris buildup can lead to serious roofing issues, no matter the type of material. That’s because this accumulation will retain moisture, and where there’s moisture, the potential for biological growth increases. Prevent deterioration and keep your metal roof looking its best by having the debris buildup swept, blown, or picked up from the system. You should also consider scheduling a comprehensive roof cleanup from a trusted local contractor at least once a year.
3. Watch out for corrosion. While most metal roofing systems are applied with protective paints or coatings, there’s still a chance for corrosion to develop. If the metal is incorrectly coated on the underside of the panel, for example, rust can form since moisture can get trapped between the panel and underlayment. In coastal areas, saltwater corrosion is also a common problem in homes and buildings with a metal roof.
For those who chose a steel roof, you’ll want to look for edge creep, which refers to minimal corrosion in the cut edges of the system. It’s also highly likely that this issue can form around the chimney, heating vents, and rooftop air conditioning. That’s because these areas constantly release steam, heat, and chemicals, breaking down your metal roof and causing its panels to corrode. Choosing high-quality metal roofing with the right coating can minimize the possibility of corrosion.
4. Make sure there are no roof openings. Any cracks, gaps, and seams in a metal roof makes it easier for water to leak through the system and into your home. Have the seals around the vent pipes, chimneys, and skylights checked to see if they are still intact. The joints between your metal roof and its protrusions are usually the system’s most leak-prone areas.
5. Avoid exposing your metal roof to other metals. The contact may cause oxidation, which can degrade and result in unsightly rust stains on your metal roof. This is why cleaning your roof periodically is crucial–it helps get rid of metallic chips embedded loosely in the metal.
6. Invest in regular roof inspections. Aside from the annual or twice-yearly checkup, have your roof inspected after a major weather event. This way, you can catch any developing problems and prevent them from worsening. By dealing with possible issues immediately, you can effectively prolong the life of your system.
Working with Done-Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd.
As with most roofing projects, metal roof repair and maintenance are tasks that a homeowner should never DIY. There’s the issue of safety, for one thing–it’s all too easy for someone untrained to slip and fall while they are up there. Plus, you might end up inadvertently damaging your roof instead of fixing it. The better idea is to leave the actual work to a pro like Done-Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd. We’re not just the go-to company for flat roofing installation in the Greater Toronto area, you can also count on us for your metal roof repair and maintenance.
- We are qualified. Done-Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd. is fully licensed, bonded, and insured–with the necessary workers’ compensation and liability coverage for your greater protection. We also offer a free written estimate to evaluate the overall condition of your metal roof and, depending on the results, suggest the appropriate solution to its problems.
- We are experienced. For nearly 30 years, Done-Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd. has provided homeowners in the Halton region with the highest quality residential roofing services. We are committed to delivering only the best results in every project we take on, whether this involves roof repair, flat roofing replacement, or metal roof maintenance.
- We offer exceptional products. Done-Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd. specializes in the installation of a wide range of roofing materials. These include the standing seam metal roofing systems we have sourced from the trusted brands and suppliers. They offer tough and reliable weather performance and are available in the sleek design and vibrant color of your choice. If you’re looking for a roofer to install your standing seam metal in a timely and efficient manner, we’re the one you can depend on. In fact, we can also handle its repair and maintenance work.
- We are proven. Roofing contractors who can’t provide superior workmanship and exceptional customer service to their clients don’t go far. Done-Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd. is not one of them. We continue to exceed the expectations of our customers–and the great feedback we receive, plus our A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau®, reflect that dedication.
Making the most of your metal roof’s performance, and extending its service life, can be simpler. Just choose a reliable company like Done-Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd. for its roof repair and maintenance. With our top-tier solutions, we’ll help keep your system in tip-top shape all year round. We proudly serve Campbellville, ON and the Greater Toronto area. Call us today at (905) 875-2888 or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation.