The winter season is one of the seasons that most people look forward to. After all, not only does it herald the holidays but even after the festivities, the winter season can give homeowners a respite from the normally warm temperatures. However, according to roof repair pros, while the winter season is a time to look forward to, it’s also a problematic time for your home due to the possible issues that it can bring.
During the winter season, one of the most common problem areas of your home is your roof. This is because since it’s your home’s first line of defense, it tends to catch most of the damage that the season can throw at your home such as snow accumulation. However, while snow accumulation is a concern during the winter season, there is another problem that you need to look out for: winter roof leaks.
In this article, flat roofing expert Done Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd. lists the six possible reasons why your roof is experiencing winter leaks.
- Ice Dams – During the winter season, snow can pile up on your roof. Eventually, this snow can also melt and turn into water. While this may sound like a natural solution to your snow problems, this can also lead to a different problem known as ice dams, which happens when the melted snow water is given a chance to freeze on your roof. This becomes a potential cause of winter roof leaks because it can steadily wear down your roof and the melting ice water from the ice dams can seep beneath your shingles, causing leaks in the process. Therefore, it’s highly recommended that you install the necessary measures that can help you keep your roof warm and prevent ice dams from forming such as improving your attic insulation or if you don’t mind the extra electricity expenses, installing heating cables around the roof.
- Clogged Gutters – Even during the winter season, your gutters will have to be cleaned every now and then to ensure that it works properly. Remember; storms are still a possibility during the winter season and if your gutters are left unattended, roof repair experts say that dirt and debris can cause it to block your downspouts and clog. Once your gutters are clogged, rainwater or melted snow can pile up on your gutters and seep beneath your shingles, which in turn would result in the dreaded leaks.
As such, if you want to avoid having clogged gutters making a mess of your roof and your home, don’t hesitate to contact a professional gutter cleaning service to help you clear out your home’s gutters every now and then.
- Cracked Flashing – Whether it’s for a pitched roof or a flat roofing system, the flashing is an integral part of your roof as it is the component that can prevent leaks from even occurring, especially in the weaker areas of your roof or the areas where there is penetration. With that in mind, it’s vital that the flashing remains in good condition. Otherwise, water can seep through them and cause leaks that can compromise your roof’s structural integrity and allow mold growth at the same time. With that in mind, be sure to make it a point to have your roof inspected every now and then to ensure that its flashing is still in good condition.
- Damaged Shingles – On the other hand, damaged shingles can also cause leaks around your home during the winter season. This is because if your shingles have cracks or punctures, they can allow melted ice and snow to enter your roof, potentially compromising its structural integrity as a result. Again, to combat damaged shingles and prevent them from causing leaks around your home, it’s highly recommended that you enlist the services of an expert roofer to inspect your roof and repair or replace the damaged shingles if needed.
To make your search for asphalt and metal roofing experts easier, simply turn to the expert roofers of Done Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd for assistance in maintaining your home’s roofing system.
- Attic Condensation – Attic condensation is a common problem in roofing systems if they aren’t properly ventilated. However, this becomes more of a problem during the winter season as the outdoor temperatures are cold while your home’s indoors are no doubt warm, resulting in excess moisture that can cause roof leaks during the winter season. Alternatively, if your attic is poorly insulated, the warm, moist air that rises to your roof from your living area can also meet the ice-cold roof deck, which in turn would turn into attic frost. Once the temperature rises, the frost can melt and won’t have anywhere else to go but the interior of your home. This becomes the winter roof leaks that can wreak havoc on your home during the winter season.
To prevent this from happening, make it a point to have a roofing professional inspect your home’s attic ventilation to ensure that it suits your roof. If your current ventilation doesn’t match your roof, ask them to help you improve it to prevent condensation from becoming a problem during the winter season.
- Leaking Bathroom Fan – Finally, a leaking bathroom fan can also cause winter roof leaks around your home. This is because if moisture gets up into your fan or your bathroom vent’s hose, it can freeze there during the winter, and eventually melt all over again on a particularly warm day. This results in a leak that drips through your bathroom fan. Thankfully, with the aid of a professional, you can easily solve this problem and prevent it from occurring ever again.
Need someone who can help you repair or maintain your roof during the winter season? Look no further than Done Right Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd. When it comes to metal roofing and roof replacement projects, we are the number one service provider to turn to and you can count on us! With 30 years of experience in the roofing business, we are dedicated to giving homeowners only the best when it comes to products and services. We won’t let you down! Give us a call at (905) 875-2888 or fill out our contact form to get in touch with us and request a quote today!