Metal Roofing Pros and Cons
Metal roofing is a fairly popular type of roofing material used due to the wide options in color, style, and texture as well as its lifespan. While residential metal roofing installation may cost a bit more than something like asphalt shingles, it has many benefits. Anytime you are considering the type of roof for your new home, or the type of roof you will use for re-roofing, you should know the pros and cons of the type of material you are going to use.
Pros of metal roofin includes:
- It is very lightweight
- It’s cheaper than slate or tile roofing
- It has a long life expectancy (generally around five decades)
- It is energy efficient because it reflects heat from the sun which can lower your heating and cooling bills
- Provides more options in color, style, and texture, than any other roofing material
- It can be made to look like many of the other roofing types (like Victorian metal tiles, clay tiles, shingles, and even wood shakes)
- You can buy recycled metal roofing
- Metal roofing is fire retardant, durable, and requires little maintenance
Cons of metal roofing include:
- It’s more expensive than asphalt roofing and the cost of premium metal can be a bit more
- If the style you want comes in metal shingles instead of sheets installation will require additional time and cost because the shingles must be individually placed and nailed
As you can see, while metal roofing might be slightly more expensive to install than some other types of roofing material, it has many pros so you might consider paying a little more upfront for a premium metal than paying more down the road.
If you need metal roof repair or installation of a metal roof, contact Done Right Roofing to ensure the job is done right the first time. When a job is done correctly in the beginning, it saves you money down the line so don’t trust your job to just anyone, trust it to residential metal roofing contractors with over three decades of experience that are licensed, bonded, and insured, and that really care about your home like you do.